Bechir Monastic Hermitage Cave – ( VII-IX c., from the outside – because of the difficulty)
Geological and Paleontological natural site Ravine Bechir
Monument “The Candle of Gratitude”
Soroca Fortress (1543 – 1545)
Gypsy Hill in Soroca
Cosauti village of Soroca district- an important center for stone carving (open air workshop of craftsmen)
Cosauti monks monastery
SOROCA district is located on the right bank of the Nistru river, treasuring 413 historical monuments, art, architecture, and nature reserves, among them the Soroca fortress; the monument Candle of Gratitude, the Bechir Monastic Hermitage Cave, Geological and Paleontological natural site Ravine Bechir, the only granite quarry in Moldova… The city has its origin in the medieval Genoese trade post of Olchionia, or Alchona. It is known for its well preserved stronghold, established by the Moldavian prince Stephen the Great ( Stefan cel Mare si Sfint) in 1499. Between 1543 and 1546 under the rule of Peter IV Rares, King of Moldova, the fort was rebuilt in stone as a perfect circle with five bastions at equal distances.
The city has a sizable Romani (Gypsy) minority and is popularly known as the Romani capital of Moldova.
The “King of the Gypsies” has his palace on the hill and the Gypsy houses impressive by their variety, diversity of colors, contrasts and luxury. About 2000 of Gypsy live in Soroca.
The monument “The Candle of Gratitude» represents a homage to all the anonymous heroes that have kept safe the culture, the language and the history of Moldova out of a wide colorful human civilization.
Cosauti village, near Soroca is an important center for stone carving. Stone craftsmen create custom works for clients in different localities of the country. They have permanent offers of gravestones and grave crosses, historical monuments, crucifixes to be installed at crossroads and near wells in different localities. This art has now become a local brand and a source of pride for local people.