On Holy Mount Athos there are 20 large, emperors, equal rights monasteries that rule the republic. Here beats the heart of Orthodox Christianity and ascetic life for over a millennium. The Christian monasteries of Mount Athos have served as true guardians of Orthodox Christian art and faith. According to tradition, no women are allowed to enter these places. The tradition of the Holy Mountain was respected even by the Turkish invaders who ruled Greece for 500 years after the fall of the Byzantine Empire. The Athos monasteries are stunning treasures of Byzantine icon painting. For centuries, monks have protected rare murals and frescoes, preserving unique icons and holy relics over which time has no power. They have not only saved, but also enhanced the spiritual richness of Orthodoxy.
Place of Departure & Return
33 Circus Street, (Circus Chisinau)
Departure time from Chisinau
- Tour-return transport
- Medical insurance
- Accommodation 2 nights at the monasteries of Mount Athos
- 2 meals per day
- Ferryboats round trip
- Local transportation in the Holy Mountain by maxi-taxi
Price does not include
- Stamp duty for receiving diamonithirion at the Pilgrims Office (25 euro per person)
- Personal expenses
- Hat, gloves, a supply of linen, a toothbrush and toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, towel
- Comfortable footwear with sturdy soles for hiking in the mountains.
- Money for additional expenses.
- A copy of your passport is required for a visa.
The pilgrimage programme may undergo some changes depending on the confirmations of accommodation in the Holy Mountain and weather conditions (which may delay entry or exit from the Holy Mountain). It is possible that in the worship programme at several monasteries, when local transport is hired by taxi, there may be some places where for objective reasons (e.g. monks' rest) we cannot worship in the church.
- Departure from Chisinau at 12.00 noon
- Ouranoupoli: Breakfast.
- Boarding the ferryboat to Hilandar Monastery (the most famous icon preserved with great devotion in the large church of the monastery is the Icon of the Mother of God "Trihirussa" - with three hands, worship at the monastery's objects) - St. Mary's Cave. Cosma from Zografu - Zografu Monastery (known as "the second house of St. George", Zografu Monastery preserves to this day several miracle-working icons, holy relics and other relics). Attendance at services / accommodation.
- Zografu Monastery (participation in mass and lunch) - Constamonitu Monastery (worship at the important icons of the monastery: Saint Stephen (8th century), the icon of Our Lady "Odighitria" (1360) and the icon of Our Lady "Antifonitria" (11th century). Dohiariu Monastery (worship of the Icon of Our Lady of Grateful Obedience and the monastery's vestments) - Xenofont Monastery (worship of the monastery's vestments and the miracle-working Icon of St. George and the Icon of Our Lady "Odighitria" in the monastery's new cathedral) - Monastery of Sts. Panteleimon Monastery (Rusikon) - participation in services / accommodation.
- Monastery of St. Panteleimon (participation in services and worship of the monastery's relics) - Departure by maxi-taxi to Karyes (capital of the Holy Mountain). Visit to Protaton Church (with the Icon of the Mother of God Axion Estin and the famous frescoes of Manuil Panselinos) - St. Andrew's Hermitage - Serai (worship in one of the largest churches in the Balkans, worship of part of the Head of St. Andrew the Apostle) - Cutlumuș Monastery (worship of the monastery's artefacts). Departure to Dafni Port. Boarding the ferryboat for departure to Ouranoupoli.
- If possible, visit on the way to Moldova the Monastery of St. Anastasia, the Saviour of Poison (worship of the monastery's vestments) - the Monastery of Suroti (worship of the tomb of St. Paisie the Aghiorite and the monastery's vestments).
Programme for women
Ouranoupoli. Cruise around Mount Athos - see the beautiful landscapes of the Holy Mountain and several monasteries from the boat. In one of the monasteries on the coast, an Aghiorite priest will board the boat with the monastery's vestments for worship. Price of the ticket for the boat - 25 eur.